CiteGenie Forum
October 17, 2019, 06:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error citing South Dakota cases  (Read 10109 times)
wblewett
approved_users

« on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »

I have previously reported this bug in the "Report Errata" form, but it is still an issue.

In South Dakota, local decisions are to be cited as Name v. Name, YYYY SD ##, #, ### N.W.2d ###, ###.

For example, Link v. L.S.I., Inc. should be

"Issue preclusion, or collateral estoppel, is not appropriate to bar Jay's claims in this case."  Link v. L.S.I., Inc., 2010 SD 103, 36, 793 N.W.2d 44, 55.

But it is being copied as:

"Issue preclusion, or collateral estoppel, is not appropriate to bar Jay's claims in this case."  Link v. L.S.I., Inc., 793 N.W.2d 44, 55 (S.D. 2010).

The issue appears to be caused by Westlaw using an inconsistent format for SD's local citation.  The Link case, which has the error, is identified by Westlaw as "793 N.W.2d 44, 2010 S.D. 103."  However, other cases are copied correctly. (Like, Dakota, Minn. & E. R.R. Corp. v. Acuity, 2006 SD 72, 720 N.W.2d 655.). For those cases that are copied correctly Westlaw Identifies them as "720 N.W.2d 655, 2006 SD 72."

According to the citation rules, "SD" is proper as opposed to "S.D." So CiteGenie is looking for the correct format - and finding it. But because Westlaw is randomly throwing S.D. out there, CG is not copying consistently correct cites.

I hope this can be fixed in the next update!
Thanks.
genieadmin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »

This is in the works for the next update.  Right now, the concentration is making sure everything is proper with the changes Mozilla made to how add-ons work in Firefox 4.x.

This is complicated by the fact that CG looks at the reporters, and the court name, and "S.D." is a legal prefix for "Southern District" for federal district courts.  SO this change is taking a lot more testing than most.
wblewett
approved_users

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

Ahh... Didn't think about the Southern District. Makes sense!  I'm sure you'll get it taken care of. CGs support has always been top-notch.
wblewett
approved_users

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »

I wanted to give you an update on this issue.

SL 2011, ch 229 modified the the official local citation format from "SD" to "S.D." The text of the session law making the change is not online. But you can see reference to it at: tinyurl.com/3e2fbmc (SDCL 15-26A-69.1).

Obviously this is not good news for us South Dakotans since "SD" was working right but "S.D." creates the error described above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: